Running in Victoria Grove at 4:30 in the Morning - An Adventure fire truck

by   Don Pedersen

Click here to learn about Victoria Grove

A strange thing happened on my morning run with Lakota, we were on our third mile in our usual 10 mile run at 4:50 a.m. on Grove Street in Victoria Grove; when just ahead of us was something large sprawled out on the sidewalk. At first, because of the low light I thought someone hit a large dog and dragged it off the road. But as I got closer I discovered it was a human body.

I learned something they do not teach you at First Aid classes, that is when you have been running for a while, your own heart rate is up and you are sweating profusely, making it difficult to check for a pulse because your own hands are pulsing. I could not see him breathing ether. 

A man was walking on the other side of the street asked if everything was alright, I told him the I could not find a pulse and I am not sure if he is breathing; and I was calling 911.  He didn’t reply and just continued his walk. That really surprised me.

As I was talking to the 911 dispatch operator, she was asking me for my information then finally about “what was the emergency.”  I explained that I found a naked guy on the sidewalk, either dead or unconscious.  She asked what his vital signs were, and it told her I could not detect a pulse or breathing. Just then my faithful dog, Lakota, started sniffing his face and nose area and he made a slight movement. So he was alive! Did I mention he was naked? Except for his underwear briefs he was naked. I corrected my statement to the 911 operator and said he is breathing but still unconscious.

What an experience calling 911, I had to go through three different dispatch operators and repeating all my information three times, while holding Lakota (who surprisingly did not want to drag him home and eat him like she does with other road kills) plus monitoring the kid all by myself while waiting for emergency personnel to show up (it took them 15 to 20 minutes to arrive after I called), Did I mention the kid was a mostly naked?  Shoot, I am getting too old. One of the questions that seemed important to each operator was “What was my exact address location?”  The first time the operator asked a nice lady came out to see what was going on and I asked her what the address was and she told me.  Then she went back home.  When the 911 operator transferred me to the Fire Department operator she gave the Fire Department all of the information he had.  So what do you think the Fire Department’s first questions were???  “Sir what is your name, phone number, present location, and your emergency?”  This time I had to leave the kid and go to the house to get the address.  And then again when the Fire Department operator transferred me Sheriff Dispatch, they were give all the information and then the Sheriff’s Dispatch operator asked me…“Sir what is your name, phone number, present location, and your emergency?”  Did I mention I hate redundancies???

Shortly before the Riverside County Sheriff Deputy showed up a white pickup pulled over with two kids who said that they knew the unconscious kid and where he lived.  They tried to get him up, but I stopped them telling them we do not know the extent of his injuries and NOT to move him.  The Sherriff Deputy arrived shortly after and got information from the kids in the white truck and asked one of them to go and get the unconscious kid’s parents. 
Shortly after that, a fire truck came down the street with lights flashing.  With the kid’s friends trying to get him up and I shooing them away each time, and the light and noise from the fire truck, finally got the kid stirring.  The firemen lifted him up and set him on the side of the truck and tried to get information from him to assess his condition.  An ambulance then came up and the placed him in stretcher just as his parents arrived.  The dad climbed in the ambulance with his son and the mom followed them to the hospital. 

Well an hour after finding the kid, he was whisked away in the ambulance and Lakota and I were off running again. Man, that little detour killed my average running time...